Because we are a one-income family we don't have many new furniture items. Most of everything we have has been given to us or has been picked up at garage sales and second-hand stores. Of course I don't think there is anything wrong with that, and it has allowed us to furnish our home cheaply. I am a bargain shopper, especially when it comes to new items, but if I can't afford something new I will find a way around buying it from the store.
My husband and I will be celebrating our 8th wedding anniversary this year and in those 8 years we have never had a proper bedroom set. It is just something we decided we could live without until our children are grown and I return to the workforce. However my husbands parents were doing some cleaning and they got rid of a pile of old wood. My first thought was; OPPORTUNITY! I can always find things to make with wood so we sifted through the pile and found 4 large boards that were once barn siding. I knew that I would turn those barn boards into a headboard, something that I had decided I could live without but truly wanted. (By "I" I do mean my husband could turn those barn boards into a headboard while I supervise.)
We brought the boards home, gathered up some screws, the drill, and the circular saw and went to work. Here's what we did:
7 3/4" circular saw
2 1/2" screws
The bed of my husband's work truck and a saw horse.
We currently do not live in a house with a garage or much storage space therefore we make do with what we have.
First we measured how tall and wide we wanted our headboard for our queen size bed. We found 61 1/2" wide to be the perfect width and I wanted to top of the headboard to be 2 1/2' tall measuring from the mattress up the wall. We decided that we would build the legs on after we were finished with the actual headboard.
So... if you are planning to do the same and you have a queen size bed you can use our measurements; 61 1/2 inches wide x 2 1/2 feet tall.
That completed the headboard construction so we moved onto the legs. My husband decided that using 2x4's would make the headboard to thick and it would look funny so we used 53" pallet planks instead. I was worried they wouldn't be strong enough, but they have withstood and held up the weight of the headboard wonderfully.
The first step was to use latex caulking and fill in the holes. After I filled the holes and allowed the caulking to dry I sanded it down so it was smooth.
By the way; my comforter is actually a duvet that I purchased for less than $15 on Amazon and it came with the pillow shams. The black accent pillow is actually my old accent pillow that I made a case for (again for free because I had the fabric and buttons on hand.) Therefore the total cost to make-over my bed: Less than $15! (I've included the link below for the duvet just in case ;)